The ability to enjoy deep, restorative sleep usually diminishes with age. Improving sleep for seniors can help to extend the lifespan and improve health.
Sleep also allows the repair of cell damage and positively refreshes the immune system to help prevent diseases. Therefore, sleep is essential for our overall health and well being of elders. Below are some changes to consider.
1) Avoid artificial lights – Artificial light can crush the hormone that helps to sleep you
Utilize bulbs of low wattage at night
Don't use Computer, TV or mobile 1 hour before proceeding to sleep
2) Effect of atmosphere – The surrounding environment can either increase sleep or lead to insomnia.
Maintain calmness of the bedroom as elders can’t tolerate sounds. Confirm that they are not bothered by snoring. You can utilize earplugs, or also separate bedrooms.
Confirm there is no annoying light accessing the room. You can utilize an eye costume to escape from the light, as well.
Try to keep the room temperature balanced, as it helps to fall asleep soon.
Keep the clock in the bedroom away from elders while they are in bed. Watching at the time can be a disturbance that can take away nap.
3) Involvement – If we connect something with a nap, it will cause a night of deep sleep.
Follow some interesting bedtime rituals that you can link with sleep, for instance, taking a bath, slow music, reading books, or meditating.
4) Set the same bedtime and get up time – It is essential to have a similar routine, particularly when it comes to sleepy time
Sleep and wake up at a similar time each day
If you feel sleepy soon, then it's better to go to bed. But from the next day, remember to keep the timing constant.
5) Right napping– Naps can assist you in being more active and occupy excess energy to work throughout the day.
Also, 5-minute rests can assist you to feel revived and develop your attentiveness and memory.
Restrict your sleeping time to 30 minutes to 45 minutes. More extended naps can make you feel more tired.
Take earlier naps in the day. Otherwise, it will disturb the nighttime sleep of the elder.
6) Diet for elders– Here are a few suggestions for the diet of elders:
Don't drink caffeine like coffees, teas, soft drinks in the evening after 5 PM.
Don’t drink alcohol as it will give you a poor state of sleep.
Don't have big or spicy meals during bedtime. Instead of that, you can have a light snack before going to bed if you are starving such as yogurt, juice, or milk
Avoid drinking water for 1 hour before going to bed to limit bathroom calls.
7) Workout – Aerobic activity is the best approach to improve cause good quality sleep.
Pick an aerobic exercise that fits you. It could be dancing, walking, swimming or running.
8) Leave the stress– Don't feel stressed about meetings, events, or an early flight. In case we worry more, then it points to the arousal of our body that conflict with our sleep.
Follow Relaxation techniques such as visualization and deep breathing
Share your worries with family members and friends
Prepare a to-do list
Write your feelings in a diary
Plan to rest yourself and determine how many hours of sleep you need to get
Elders’ need about 8 hours of sleep at night, but the most significant situation is that you feel revived in the morning. Several 24 hour home care services for elders can assist them to sleep better using the above tactics, along with some personalized plans relying on their perceptions. They need to ask for help from such service providers if they are not getting sleep properly.